Perlane, approved by the FDA in May of this year, is an injectable cosmetic dermal filler that has been used to soften wrinkles and facial lines of individuals. Perlane to the more pronounced facial folds and wrinkles such as those on the sides of the mouth.
Summary of resultsPerlane® was studied in multiple clinical studies. In one, treatment of the nasolabial folds with Perlane® resulted in an improvement in wrinkles in 137 of 149 patients after three months, and 105 of 148 patients after six months. In another study, treatment of nasolabial folds with Perlane® resulted in an improvement in wrinkles in 122 of 141 patients after three months, and 88 of 138 patients after six months. Side effects were mild. Most of the side effects went away in seven days. Perlane® did not cause allergic reactions.
SafetyPerlane® has been used safely by dermatologists and plastic surgeons since 2000 worldwide.
Please observe the following after treatment with Perlane®:
- Cold compresses (a cloth dipped in cold water, wrung out, and applied to the injected area) may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling.
- Avoid touching the treated area within six hours following treatment so you do not accidentally injure your skin while the area is numb. After that, the area can be gently washed with soap and water.
- Until there is no redness or swelling, avoid exposure of the treated area to intense heat (sun lamp or sun bathing).
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another occurrence. Speak to your physician about medications that may minimize a recurrence.
- Avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, St. John’s Wort, and high doses of vitamin E supplements for one week after treatment. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Perlane (and stylized) is a registered trademark of HA North American Sales AB.
© 2009 Medicis Aesthetics Inc. PPI99810-08B Revised 01/2009